Trey is a passionate litigator with over 20 years of experience defending health care professionals, corporations, and individuals in high-stakes litigation. While Trey is a willing and experienced trial lawyer, he also appreciates risk-benefit analysis and the need for efficient and early evaluation of liability in order to mitigate litigation risk and cost.
Trey is a native of Greenville, South Carolina and graduated from the USC School of Law in 2002. While he began his practice with a large local firm in 2002, Trey joined Roe Cassidy Coates & Price in 2005 and became a partner in 2009. His areas of practice include medical malpractice, professional malpractice, representation of professionals before licensing boards, and commercial and personal injury litigation. He makes regular appearances in South Carolina circuit courts, and has tried cases on behalf of defendants and plaintiffs to juries across the Upstate of South Carolina. He has also argued successfully in the South Carolina Court of Appeals and Supreme Court.
When not in the office or courtroom, Trey enjoys spending time in the outdoors, either at his farm or in the mountains, with his wife, Elizabeth, and their four young children. He is also very involved in his community and church, as well as legal organizations.
Trey is active in the local and legal community. He serves as a member of the Board of Directors of the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association. He is a former President of the South Carolina Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, as well as a former member of the South Carolina Bar’s Board of Governors and the House of Delegates.
Trey is passionate about the homeless and underserved in Greenville and focuses his charitable work on the United Ministries, where he has served on the Board of Directors for seven years. He also serves as a deacon at First Presbyterian Church in Greenville.
- Business Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Professional Liability
- Washington & Lee University, B.A., 1999
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 2002
- Greenville County Bar Association;
- South Carolina Bar Association;
- Upstate Inn of Court;
- United Ministries, Board of Directors;
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association, Secretary
- South Carolina – 2002
- United States District Court for the District of South Carolina – 2002
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit – 2007
Reported & Notable Cases
- Jenkins v. Few, 391 S.C. 209, 705 S.E.2d 457 (Ct. App. 2010)
- Hawkins v. City of Greenville, 358 S.C. 280, 594 S.E.2d 557 (2004)
Awards & Recognition
- Power List in Business Defense, South Carolina Lawyers Weekly, 2023
- Best Lawyers in America®, 2018-2023
- Legal Elite in Health Care Law, Greenville Business Magazine, 2017-2022
- South Carolina Super Lawyers®, 2015-2023
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® Rising Star, 2012-2014
- Martindale-Hubbell, “AV/Preeminent Attorney” rating